City of Bones - Cassandra Clare So I finally finished the famous City of Bones! I’ve been putting it off for a long time, I’m not really sure why. I’ve read both negative and positive reviews before starting the book, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I loved The Infernal Devices series, with a historical setting, great characters and steampunk-ish touch, and it’s one of my favorite series. But City of Bones sadly failed to impress me that much.

The story follows Clarissa Frey, who is plunged into a world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders, a paranormal world she had no idea it existed. But when her mother is kidnapped by a great villain Valentine, Clary starts to discover her family’s secrets and her own identity.

I liked this book, I really did. It gripped me from beginning to end, it had some great twists I didn’t see coming and all in all I enjoyed reading it. But there were some things that bothered me, with characters being my biggest problem. Clary is such a general character, I can’t find one word to describe her personality. She’s not scared or brave, stupid or smart, she’s just boring in her generality. I couldn’t relate to her or any other characters. Simon was a bit childish and annoying at times and Jace too much of a jerk for my liking. All the characters had some funny sarcastic remarks from time to time, but they felt out of place because they were all the same. There can be one or two characters with witty remarks per book, not all of them. The characters I liked the most were Magnus Bane and Alec, and I hope there’s a story about them coming in next books!

The plot itself had some holes too, I kept second-guessing the characters’ actions. They often had no logical reasons for their doing. The most infuriating part was at the end, the scene with Valentine. I had a problem believing Jace would really react that way and I kept waiting for some trick, but it didn’t come. And it really frustrates me when they have the villain right in front of them, when they could kill him but of course they let him live! Come on, how many more people does he have to kill?! Maybe I’m just too old for YA and expect too much blood and gore, haha. The complication between Clary and Jace didn’t surprise me, I totally saw it coming, just like I already know it will be solved in the next book(s).

Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed this book and I’m looking forward to reading City of Ashes. I also heard the books in series get better. I’m at the end of my review and I still don’t know if I should give this book 3 or 4 stars. Maybe I should keep higher ratings for sequels? Oh, and now I can finally go watch the movie, I really hope it’s good!

Find this review & more on my blog: http://thetemporaryescape.blogspot.com/