The Almond Tree - Michelle Cohen Corasanti I was really excited when I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. I don't enter giveaways if I don't find the description of the book very interesting. I thought this book could be somewhat similar to Khaled Hosseini's books, which are amazing, so I was really looking forward to read it.
With the book I also got a message from the author: "May the battles that we fight be for the advancement of humanity". Only now that I finished the book I actually realize what she meant with these words.

The main story is about Ichmad Hamid, an Arab child who lives in a village in Palestine that is constantly oppressed by Israeli army. With his brilliant mind he wants to make a change, a better life for his loved ones. I can't say this book was easy to read, there was brutality and violence and I cried, I was angry and I was happy at moments, too. The characters were so real, there are good and bad people on both sides and the author is never one-sided. The story is fictional, but it could easily be a true story, it's written that good.

This is a book with message, it makes you think and leaves you with a pure wish to be a better person and to change the world for the better.