Easy - Tammara Webber Actual rating: 3.5

Despite my rating, I was actually surprised how much I liked this book. I'm not into YA/NA contemporary romance much, but I like to give it a try once in a while, just to see if it can change my mind. I chose Easy because it’s very popular, it has almost 80.000 ratings with 4.26 average on Goodreads and little to none sexism, which is almost a miracle in this new New Adult genre.

The story is pretty cute. Jaqueline just broke up with her boyfriend a few weeks ago, when she gets attacked by this co-student who tries to rape her. Thankfully Lucas saves her and suddenly she starts to notice him everywhere. Lucas is supposed to be a “bad boy” which means he’s got a lip piercing, tattoos and drives a motorcycle, but in truth he’s an intelligent, nice and sweet guy. He’s got a tough past and he’s afraid of commitment. I liked him a lot and if I would fangirl about book boyfriends I would choose him. Jaqueline was not your tipically broken whiny girl, she stood up for herself at right time and even though she liked Lucas, she didn’t lose her wits because of him. She felt like a real, usual girl who makes mistakes sometimes but tries to do her best. I liked the story as a whole, the ending was nice and sweet and I really like that this is a stand alone, because this is one of the books where there’s no need for sequels.

There were some parts in the story where it all became very predictable. I loved e-mails between Jaqueline and Landon, but I guessed the story behind Landon right away. Other than that, there were no other major turns or surprises. I liked that this book mentions some real issues and also deals with some feminist themes. But there was this scene when a girl gets raped and she’s afraid to report the guy because she was drunk and she wasn’t a virgin before that. I got angry because it didn’t even cross my mind before that being a virgin or no has any point when it comes to rape. Of course it’s still a rape if you were drunk and OF COURSE it counts as a rape if you weren’t a virgin before! It doesn’t mean that once you’re not a virgin, every guy can do with you whatever he pleases! This was ridiculous to me, but I’m glad this book pointed it out. What bothered me was some slut-shaming. It is never okay to slut-shame someone and it instantly lowers my rating.

Maybe I’m not the right person to even review contemporary romance books. I can read them and like them, but they never impress me the way good fantasy and sci-fi stories do. I won’t fangirl over book boys or enjoy in soppy romances. But if you like YA/NA contemporary romance, I highly recommend Easy. I can understand why so many girls love it and it really is a good read.

Find this review and more on my blog: http://thetemporaryescape.blogspot.com/