The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Mass

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1) - Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first of four short stories, prequels to Throne of Glass. I haven’t read Throne Of Glass yet, because I heard it’s better to read these stories first. And I’m really glad I’ve read them! In this first story, we get to meet our main character, young Celaena Sardothien. She’s a very interesting character, sometimes a bit annoying in her cockiness, but mostly fun and actually very kind-hearted. Celaena is one of the best assassins, working for her master Arobynn Hamel. He sent her and Sam, a fellow assassin, to collect a debt from the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns they actually want to trade in slaves, she’s determined to stop them, even if it means her master will be very angry.

Conclusion to all four novellas:
I loved these four novellas and I recommend them to every fantasy fan. If you’ve read Throne of Glass or no, you should read these short stories. I love the world Sarah J. Mass created. The story flowed beautifully, the writing style was rich and engaging. The world building wasn’t perfect, but since these are short stories, I guess it’ll be better in novels, where I hope to find some maps. The story never gets boring, it’s very fast-paced and intense. The characters were diverse and complicated. I started to really love Celaena. She’s brave and kick-ass, but she’s so much more than just great assassin and pretty face. She clearly shows her strength in the last books in the end. I can’t wait to read more about her. But beware - the author doesn’t hesitate to kill off some beloved characters. I can’t wait to start Throne of Glass, but I’m a bit afraid it’s going to hurt.

Source: http://thetemporaryescape.blogspot.com/2013/09/mini-reviews-prequels-to-throne-of.html