Review: On Every Street by Karina Halle

On Every Street  - Karina Halle

You should probably know that I’m not a fan of books focused on romance, much less of contemporary erotic romance books. So why did I want to start The Artists Trilogy? Honestly, because of the interesting premise, but mostly because of all the great reviews I’ve read, and there’s plenty of them. My trust was rewarded - I pretty much loved On Every Street, making me glad I’ve read something out of my comfort zone.

On Every Street isn’t a fluffy, cheesy romance that I usually dislike, nor is it a chick-lit or erotica full of soulless sex scenes (I don’t like these, too). There’s a really great story behind the romance. It’s a story of revenge and first love and the heartbreak that usually follows.

Ellie Watt is a 20-year-old woman and a daughter of con artists. She’s a pretty good thief and a con herself, too. Her childhood was ruined by a drug lord and the time has come to change the name and take the revenge. To get close to this drug lord, she needs to get close to his employee, Javier. She’s a very smart girl but you know how you can’t escape your heart’s desire.. so she falls in love with Javier. He’s her first love and they have a very passionate and a bit angsty relationship.

Like I said, I’m not usually comfortable with all the relationship drama, but for some reason, Ellie’s narrating the story worked for me. She’s this intelligent, strong young girl, who so foolishly falls for a man, and you can’t not root for her. Javier has his great moments, but he rubbed me the wrong way from the start. It’s no spoiler that this love story doesn’t end well, because the first novel in the series, Sins & Needles, has a different love interest, though I saw Javier appears in the future, too. I think there were two or three sex scenes, and I was really glad the book didn’t focus on that. It was so much more than just that.

On Every Street is a realistic, sad and dark read and even though I knew what was coming, Ellie’s heartbreak made me cry in the end. Karina Halle is a very talented writer and I’ll definitely read Sins & Needles as soon as I feel like reading out of my comfort zone again. This could be easily read as a stand-alone, so I recommend it to every 18+ romance fan and even for those who, like me, don’t particularly like the genre.

Favorite Quotes

"I couldn't get past all the wrongs in my life, I couldn't accept them. To accept it, to live it, peacefully, that was like saying it was all okay."

“You know,” he began, voice low and full, “if you were to ever leave me, I’d come looking for you, on every street.”

"He lied. I lied. Any love that starts out under a lie is bound to kill you."

"So? Your first love? We all have our first loves. They come and they go. Just because he’s your first love doesn’t mean he’ll be your last. Take it from me, the human heart is much more capable than we give it credit for. Being able to love again is a choice."

"I could show the world that it wasn’t such a bad place when it really, really was."
Source: http://thetemporaryescape.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-on-every-street-by-karina-halle.html